There are lots of styling tools out there that can give you sexy defined curls, but often they are extremely expensive. If you have ever wondered how to curl your hair without damaging it, then I suggest you follow the steps described below. These steps will guarantee to make curls an easy hairstyle for you to get. It is not only going to be soft and frizz free, but you are also going to get defined, sexy curls by following the techniques outlined below.
Obviously, we were not born with glossy, bouncy curls but we can always spring up our hair for one day or two by just using the right technique. And using the right technique does not mean using the most expensive tools. For example, Curlformers work really great but not everyone can afford them, nor can everyone afford to go to a hair stylist or a hair spa. Well, the good news is that there is a way you can get the same result at home even at a cheaper rate or for free if you have all the important tools at your disposal at home.
How to Curl your Hair Inexpensively – The Cheap, Natural, and Easy Way
The simplest way to give your hair the desired curl is to look for a technique that works very well for you so you can get beautiful curls any time you like. If you have little budget and you want to cut out expensive hair products and still have defined sexy curls, here are some ways to do that.
All you need is a comb, curl enhancing mousse, volumizing spray, and rag curlers.
- Make your hair feel wet by pouring a little water on it. You only need a little water, so do not pour too much to an extent that it starts to drip.
- Thoroughly comb your hair to avoid any tangles. Then mark out a section that equates to the width you want your curls to be. The smaller the sections, the tighter the curls will be. So loose curls need wider sections.
- Apply curl enhancing mousse to the section you separated for curling.
- Place one-inch strips perpendicular to your hair in such a way that the tip is against the far end of the strip.
- Fold a cloth over and start winding your hair around it, making sure you leave it even with space at the edge of the cloth.
- Tie the cloth in a knot after rolling it all the way to your head’s tip.
- Keep doing this all the way around your head. For natural looking curls, create layers of curls with different sections.
- Use root booster spray to spray the roots after you have finished knotting the rags around your head. This makes it look more natural than allowing them to lie limp down your face.
- Leave it for 4 hours. The longer the better as this will cause the curls to become stronger and therefore make them last long. You can do this at night before going to bed.
- After a minimum of 4 hours, take out the rags one after the other and release your hair by slowly winding them backwards. Avoid losing your curls by NOT pulling the rags out as this can cause it to pull straight. You have to do it slowly.
- If you follow the steps above, you should have very tight curls. For a looser look, gently comb them out. To keep the tight curls, separate them gently with your fingertips by pulling them apart.
- You can choose to spray lightly with the hairspray of your choice. This is completely up to you. It is not compulsory.
Please note that silk cloth will reduce any chance of hair breakage. So it is better to use silk cloth during this process. But if you don’t have one, that is also fine because it is not compulsory.
How to Curl your Hair Using Braids
Braids create tight or large curls depending on how thick the sections are made. Here are some tips to getting curly hair using braids.
1) Wash Your Hair
Because scrunching works very well on wet hair, it needs to be washed. When washing, apply a little amount of conditioner to both the mid-lengths and the ends in order to make the tangles easier to tackle. Also ensure you rinse your hair properly and thoroughly because excess product will stop it from curling.
2) Dry Your Hair with an Absorbent Towel
Too much water on your hair can cause any product you use to drip down along with water. This will prevent curls from appearing. To avoid this, gently pat your hair with an absorbent towel then squeeze the tail ends in order to remove excess water.
3) Comb Your Hair
Get rid of smaller knots in your hair by making use of wide-toothed comb. If you still have stubborn knots after washing, drying and even combing; make use of spray or detangling mist to remove them.
4) Apply a Curling Product
Curling products include curling sprays, creams and gels. A curl-enhancing product will help maintain the shape of your braids even after unbraiding it. Apply Mousse gently to your Hair or any other curl-enhancing gels. Always use a product that has scent and texture that you love.
5) Determine the Amount of Braids You Want
This will decide the nature of your curls and how they look. For example, doing two braids will give you more crimps than doing just one. You can stick to a low possible number of braids if you feel more braids will mean more work to you.
6) Pull Your Hair into Different Sections
Make use of comb to make a straight line going from your forehead to your neck, split each half into as many sections you prefer, and use the comb to make sure they are all of fairly uniform in size.
7) Make Use of a French or Normal Braid on Every Section
Ask somebody else to assist you in braiding your hair as it is easier to do this than braiding your own hair yourself. Both French and regular braids will curl your hair around your scalp.
8) Keep the Braids
Each braid should be tied using any non-rubber hair elastic. Put the tie near the tip of the hair or else it will make the tips look straight which will end up ruining the effects of the curls. Note: You are using non-rubber elastic because rubber can cause harm to your hair shaft, so it is best to stay away from it completely.
9) Allow the Braids to Last Overnight or for Several Hours
Undo your braids after you have allowed them to dry for about 6 to 8 hours. Avoid brushing it because doing so will make it look too fluffy. Finally, add some hairspray.
Here are some extra tips for you on how curl your hair:
- Twist your hair first before braiding it. This will give it spiral curls as opposed to zigzag curls.
- Don’t make us of a regular comb when combing your hair. This is because it destroys the curls and gives them a frizzy look. Instead, make use of a wide-toothed comb. It keeps the curls intact, and allows them to be well comb.
- Always put in ponytail after which you can curl from there. Pulling curled hair into ponytail is difficult especially if it is not already.
- To ensure the curls remain in place, you can make use of curling iron or hairspray.
What to Avoid
Ensure your hair is totally dry before using any hot tool to curl it. Wet or damp hair should never be curled with a hot tool. In fact, using a hot tool on any damp hair may cause serious damage.